Marriage Certificates

It is a gorgeous summer's day in Australia. It could be Melbourne, Victoria… or someplace in Tasmania, or sunny Queensland, deep in the Northern Territory, in South Australia, in Western Australia… The bride and groom hear these astonishing words “You may perhaps now kiss the bride” striking like a bell by way of their satisfied miasma, and take that very first kiss as husband and wife. And as the strains of music rise, the celebrant ushers the couple to the signing table…

It really is the signing of the register, when the marriage certificate will be signed to comprehensive the legal formalities of marriage.

Marriage Certificates – hows several copies and why?

In Australia, the couple are expected to sign 3 copies of the marriage certificate. 1 of these is a “quite” document, recognized as the Celebration Certificate and also recognized as “Kind 15”. This is an official document and will have a exclusive registration quantity/serial quantity.

The Celebration Certificate, as soon as signed as essential, is handed by the authorised celebrant to the newly married couple for their personal records.

The second copy has on its reverse side the Declaration Of No Legal Impediment To Marriage. This copy of the Marriage Certificate is processed by the Registry so that the marriage will be registered.

The third copy is that retained by the authorised celebrant (the “Marriage Register” copy). It is typically kept in an official challenging-bound or leather-bound Marriage Register. If it eventuates that something goes incorrect with the Official copy, if the Registry demands this details for any explanation, the authorised celebrant (as per the Marriage Regulations) is capable to give this copy to the Registry.

Who Indicators the Marriage Certificates?

The signing of the register (that is, the signing of the 3 copies of the marriage certificate) demands the signatures of the following men and women:

  1. firstly, the bride and bridegroom,
  2. then the two witnesses, and
  3. ultimately the authorised celebrant.

This order of signing have to not be altered. That is, the groom may perhaps sign very first, followed by the bride, or vice-versa, but each parties (bride and groom) have to sign just before the two witnesses can do so. Either witness may perhaps sign very first as soon as the couple have signed. The authorised celebrant will sign final.

Which Marriage Certificate Do We Require For a New Passport?

For most official or legal purposes, the couple will need a Typical Certificate of Marriage. This will be a stamped and printed copy issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (recognized as either the Registry or the BDM). It is not automatically handed to the couple it have to be applied for by the couple from the Registry.

The Celebration Certificate is an official document but while it is proof of marriage, it may perhaps not constitute adequate proof for a certain case in point. For instance, it is not adequate proof of marriage in relation to identity. That is why the Typical Certificate of Marriage will be expected for situations such as passport application, updating your driver licence/bank account/Medicare facts, and so forth.

What About Registering Our Marriage In A further Nation?

A marriage solemnized in Australia will be valid overseas. (Of course verify with your respective nation in case of any precise facts or troubles.) To give the expected proof for a marriage to be recognized in an additional nation, the couple can't use the Celebration Certificate rather, they will want the Typical Certificate of Marriage. This certificate will want to be recognized by an additional nation as an official document whose signatures by Australian officials are genuine, and have to as a result also be provided either an Apostille or an Authentication certificate.

If the overseas nation is a member of the Hague Convention, the certificate have to be provided an Apostille. If not, it have to be provided an Authentication. This implies the document has been legalised.

The Apostille/ Authentication is performed by the Australian Division of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Foreign governments in some cases want proof the signatures of Australian officials on documents are genuine just before they can be accepted. The Division of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), by way of the Australian Passport Workplace in your capital city will certify that a signature, stamp or seal on an official Australian public document is genuine by checking it against a specimen held on file, and print or attach a certificate in the type of an ' authentication' or an 'apostille' stating specific details. 

Note that the marriage will be registered in Australia, but it will be recognized in the overseas nation as a valid marriage.

What If I Shed Our Marriage Certificate?

If the couple loses the Celebration Certificate (the certificate handed to them on the day of the marriage ceremony), an additional copy can't be issued.

Nevertheless, if the couple applies for a Typical Certificate and shed that copy, an additional copy of the Typical Certificate can be issued by applying to the Registry.

(As the Celebration Certificate is mostly for the couple's personal records, its loss may perhaps be upsetting but not important. For any objective exactly where the marriage demands to be proved, the Typical Certificate can be made use of.)

Can We Get A further Copy Of The Certificate From The Celebrant?

The authorised celebrant will not give the couple with a copy of the official certificate of marriage, nor will the celebrant be capable to give the couple with a copy of the celebrant's personal copy (the “Marriage Register” copy). The celebrant will only give this copy to the Registry.

The authorised celebrant can't re-challenge the Celebration Certificate. Each and every Celebration Certificate is a exclusive document and can't be replaced.


As a basic rule, when the bride or groom (or each) want to prove their marriage, or when the bride demands to prove her identity (if she decides to adjust her surname to that of her husband), the Typical Certificate of Marriage is expected proof of marriage.

This Typical Certificate is obtainable straight from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

It need to be noted that in most circumstances only the bride and groom can receive a copy of this certificate, and that they will be expected to provide essential ID when applying for this certificate. Anybody other than the bride or groom applying for this Certificate would be expected to demonstrate adequate explanation for the application. Usually verify with the acceptable Registry.

Show More